The Bartlett Tree Expert Company has been in the business of providing exceptional tree care services to clients for over 100 years. We are the largest family-owned tree care company in the United States. We pride ourselves on offering scientific tree care and have extensive resources at the Bartlett Tree Research Laboratory in Charlotte, NC.
The Bartlett Tree Research Laboratory provides plant problem diagnostics, technical support, and training to the 140+ field offices and 2,000+ field staff that make up the Bartlett Tree Expert Company. The Bartlett Plant Diagnostic Laboratory evaluates approximately 12,000 samples per year collected on client properties by Bartlett arborists. The plant disease and insect diagnostician will be responsible for identifying plant diseases, insect pests, and abiotic problems on woody ornamental plants and providing support to all offices in the US and Canada. In addition, the diagnostician will assist with employee training, technical support, presenting at meetings, event planning and travel, and support of research projects if necessary.
Principle Responsibilities Include:
• Evaluate approximately 2,000 plant samples annually using visual observation, microscopy, culture isolation/maintenance, ELISA testing, PCR, and other methods. Write diagnostic reports (read by employees and clients) based on sample findings.
• Interact with Bartlett Arborist Representatives via phone, email, and occasional field visits. Provide support to Representatives by answering questions about sample diagnoses, pest/disease problems, and management recommendations.
• Assist with Arborist Representative and Plant Health Care Specialist training virtually and in-person.
• Support the diagnostic lab’s Digital Media Library by taking photographs of symptoms and signs on samples and cataloging them for easy retrieval.
• Represent the Diagnostic Lab at company and industry events by giving talks, setting up displays and demonstrations, and interacting with attendees.
• Participate in the evaluation of new diagnostic techniques and technologies as needed.
• Lead/assist with the development of technical resources on various plant problems.
• Assist with research projects related to diagnostics as needed (infrequent).
• Master’s degree in plant pathology, entomology, or a related discipline.
• Working knowledge of diagnostic techniques including microscopy, culture isolation, ELISA, and PCR.
• Experience with disease, insect, mite, and abiotic problem diagnosis.
• Ability to focus and concentrate while performing detailed tasks for extended periods of time, i.e. microscopy and report writing.
• Ability to work effectively as a team member.
• Availability to travel.
• Excellent oral/written communication and self-motivation skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Willingness to learn.
• Knowledge of pests and diseases that affect ornamental trees and shrubs.
• Exposure to arboriculture.
• Knowledge of molecular techniques (qPCR, Sanger sequencing).
• Knowledge of Microsoft 365 products, specifically SharePoint and Teams.
• Knowledge of digital photography and editing.
Click here to apply: https://www.bartlett.com/job-opportunities-c/research-lab-nc/plant-dise…